COVID-19 update: a message from our CEO
9th March 2021
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Emerald Publishing Vicky Williams shares what we're continuing to do at Emerald to keep our customers, colleagues, and communities safe and supported as much as we can.
How we're working now
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, we’re ensuring that the physical and mental well-being of everyone we work with is our top priority.
Although our physical offices have been closed for nearly a year now, we have remained very much open and are more determined than ever to support the communities we exist to serve. We realise that in this uncertain time, people around the world need quick and easy access to the information we publish on Emerald Insight and opportunities to share their research.
We are a digital-first, open publisher and will continue to be available for you throughout this public health crisis.
What we have done & what we're doing throughout the crisis
- We launched a publishing fund of £20,000 to cover article processing charges on our open access platform, Emerald Open Research. As a result, we now have the Coronavirus (COVID-19) collection, containing articles that will always be available to read, download and share.
- We are signatories of the Wellcome Trust statement on sharing research, and as such have committed to making our COVID-19 and coronavirus-related articles free to access throughout the crisis. We have a dedicated page highlighting some of this content and have been actively sharing these resources with our global author and research community.
- Our sister learning company, Emerald Works, has created a free Covid-19 support pack to help maintain your physical and emotional wellbeing.
- We have partnered with ProQuest to offer unlimited access to Ebook Central Holdings.
- Emerald Insight is set up to support remote access for those not able to be on campus, with information on how to do this available on our Customer Support Portal.
- We have partnered with new federations to enable Shibboleth access in regions which were not otherwise supported by our existing partnerships. We have ensured that accounts which could support federated access were correct and up-to-date, and increased load capacity on some proxy IPs where institutions were struggling with the sheer volume of traffic which was being routed down a single IP. We have also worked with institutions that do have the option to use proxy or federated access, to roll out our Organization Access Number (OAN) provision which allowed access to Emerald Insight through username and password.
- When we launched our new Emerald Insight platform in summer 2019, we removed all limits on the number of simultaneous users who could have access. In addition, for the duration of this crisis, we are waiving any photocopying limits, any restrictions that apply to campus locations, and cross-border interlibrary loan restrictions.
- We are also allowing flexible renewal periods, lengthening payment due dates, and are delaying planned price increases until the current disruption in communities, public health systems and global stock markets calms down.
- Now is a good time to join our librarian and research communities via Emerald Engage, where you can share best practice and ask questions of your peers all around the world as we try to cope with this emergency.
- Many of our colleagues around the world are continuing to work from home and we are providing the resources they need to do that. Our colleagues can quarantine if necessary, without losing pay, and we have stopped all travel. We offer flexible working and have forums to help colleagues stay in touch and find information to stay healthy and combat potential loneliness. We’re monitoring the situation constantly and taking the best expert advice.
The answers to this crisis will come from the incredible power, dedication and resilience of the research and public health community and we continue to be here to serve, support and champion you all.
With my very best wishes
CEO, Emerald Publishing